Friday, January 8, 2010

The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

Writing is powerful. It has the ability to effect change in a very unique way. If you look back throughout history, many of the major turnovers of power or rebellions originally started with one person's thoughts and ideas put down into writing. From the pens of John Locke, Thomas Hobbes and Adam Smith flowed the ideas of the Englightenment, which caused numerous revolutions and converted much of the world to democracies.

This is why I chose the name of this blog. In many ways, writing 
ismore powerful than the sword. Writing sets the foundation and the sword builds the building. Yet without a good foundation, the building will collapse. The most obvious examples of this are, as I mentioned earlier, revolutions. Before any action happens, ideas and goals must be thought out and circulated through writing. People's minds need to be "infiltrated" with these ideas, so when the time for action comes, they are ready.

Now, I'm not looking to start a revolution in this blog or encourage large changes on a national, or even a local, scale. My purpose is simply to exercise my 1st Amendment rights and publish some of my thoughts for the world to see. Yet even though I'm just a teenager starting a blog, my thoughts can still impact someone powerfully. The title reflects the potential my words have. If someone reads something that I've written and it affects their life, then my words have turned into more than words. They have turned into actions. The pen is indeed mightier than the sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment