Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pressing Question

Hello, all! I have a pressing question, and was wondering if anyone could help me... ??? It has to do with the familiar verse from Psalm 139: "I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..."  Now, I understand the wonderfully part, but I'm trying to figure out what it means to be "fearfully made".  It seems like people always quote this verse, and I have absolutely no idea what it means! Who is afraid of who?  If anyone has any insights, I would love to hear them... Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. According to study light, it means to fear, revere, be afraid
    1. to fear, be afraid
    2. to stand in awe of, be awed
    3. to fear, reverence, honour, respect
    1. to be fearful, be dreadful, be feared, to cause astonishment and awe, be held in awe, to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe, (Piel) to make afraid, terrify

    So I'm thinking it must mean that we are all made in such a way that it SHOULD inspire reverence or awe in us for our Creator... But it is also a different word than that which means solely to fear or be afraid of something. The word used in Psalm 139:14 is used over 250 times in the Old Testament ALONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph is right...the intricacy of our physical body and amazing mental capacity points to something more than macroevolution, like we are learning in Bible Class!

    ReplyDelete